Review: Les Misérables

A heart full of love. A theater full of tears.


Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) has recently been released from prison for stealing a loaf of bread. He doesn't follow his parole, and is hunted by policeman Javert. (Russel Crowe)  While working as a factory manager, he agrees to take in the daughter of Fantine, (Anne Hathaway) who was unfairly fired and is now dying and working as a prostitute. Jean raises her daughter, Cosette (Amanda Seyfried) as his own, but doesn't reveal his past. When she finds love in Marius (Eddie Redmayne) Valjean must confess everything, once he learns to accept this, of course.

I can't remember the last time I cried so damn much in a movie. When Fantine's scenes were over, I was actually sort of thankful that I wouldn't have to be such a mess for awhile. Anne Hathaway really gives a great performance for how little of the film she is in. All of the actors gave fine performances in my opinion. Some people are complaining that they should've used "real singers." I disagree completely. This is a movie, first and foremost, and you need to be able to portray emotion on screen. Not all singers can do that. I thought everyone, no matter how strong or weak their voices are, played their parts well.

Tom Hooper's direction may have been all over the place, but I didn't find it nearly as distracting as others. While Les Mis does run a bit long at times, it's the best version of the musical I have seen on screen, and I don't see it being topped any time soon.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B+

Memorable Quote: "A world that's full of happiness that I have never known." - Eponine (Samatha Barks)

Comments

  1. I already cried watching the trailer, I knew I'll be a basket case watching this. I probably should just watch this on rental so I don't make an embarrassment of myself, ahah. I agree with you that actors should convey the emotional parts better than their ability to sing. Yes it's a bonus if they could sing well, but the emotional connection is far more important in a film adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear this film adaptation is so moving. :-) I am looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen it twice, and I cried both times. It's one of my favorites of 2012.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum