Indie Gems: Lucky Number Slevin

Worst case of mistaken identity ever.
 
Despite the name of the title, Slevin (Josh Hartnett) is not having a very good day. He goes to his friend's empty home to visit, and instead gets mistaken for said friend by a couple of thugs. They bring him to The Boss. (Morgan Freeman) He's a powerful crime lord that Slevin's friend apparently owes money. He wants him to kill the son of another powerful man, The Rabbi. (Ben Kingsley) With the help of his new friend Lindsey, (Lucy Liu) Slevin tries to get one up on everyone before they can kill him. He's also got a detective (Staney Tucci) and an assassin (Bruce Willis) up his ass.
 
Crime movies aren't usually my thing. They all tend to be very similar, but this one is an exception. The story is fun, there's a few twists here and there, and the stellar cast looks like they're having fun making it. That may be kind of an odd thing to say. When you watch an actor in a film, you're supposed to be thinking about their character, not the actor themselves. But this was just one of those times that you can tell that they all had a hell of a good time playing their characters.
 
Josh Hartnett kind of fell of the face of the Earth, didn't he? It's a shame, because he's good in films like this. A great cast and an interesting ending make this one of the best crime movies I've ever seen, and it's a must see if you're a fan of all involved.
 
Grade: A
 
Memorable Quote: "This was my son. Notice how I said "was?" - The Boss (Morgan Freeman)

Comments

  1. I really love this movie... except I could never really buy Morgan Freeman as a villain. But that aside, I dig movies like this that are subtly oddball and great touches of romance, action, mystery, and drama.

    Yes, I don't know what's going on with Hartnett but he needs to get back into the film game...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding, I think The Black Dahlia was the last thing I remember him in other than this one.

      Delete
  2. I remember really wanting to see this when it came out, but I never got around to it. I agree on Hartnett...it's a shame his career died. I remember really liking him and thinking he'd go far once he shook off the pretty boy image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is such a great movie. Really fun and the twists were totally unpredictable. I loved Lucy Liu in this one, she was so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum