Indie Gems: Adventureland

We all had that crappy summer job.
 
In some instances, maybe it lasted even longer than the summer. Either way, that first minimum wage job is gives our lead character his reality check.
 
 
James (Jesse Eisenberg) had planned on spending the summer after college in Europe, however he has some financial set backs and is forced to take a job at a local amusement park. It's at this job that he becomes infatuated with Em, (Kristen Stewart) makes new friends and learns a lot of life lessons on the way.
 
Despite this film having the typical awkward performances of Eisenberg and Stewart, it's actually very enjoyable to watch. They work well in the roles given to them, and the supporting cast (Bill Hader, Kristin Wiig, Ryan Reynolds, etc) are nice additions as well. I found this movie to be a little nostalgic in a way. It reminded me of all of the summers I spent working multiple jobs during school, and how I don't miss that at all.
 
Grade: B
 
Memorable Quote: "Can you stop saying "'ntercourse"? - Em (Kristen Stewart)

Comments

  1. I really liked the movie, especially because of atmosphere and soundtrack. I was impressed by Eisenberg here but Stewart did pretty good job with her character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both did well. Even if these are their typical characters. They had a lot of chemistry.

      Delete
  2. Nice review Brittani. It's got a very lax-feel that works well for the movie's message and what it's trying to get across about it's character. However, it does get a tad bit obvious by the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, but I enjoyed it. I saw a trailer for The Way Way Back today, and it really reminded me of Adventureland. I wonder if they're going for the same thing?

      Delete
  3. I love this movie! It has a great cast/soundtrack, and the nostalgic aspect works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soundtrack is great! Damn, I should've mentioned that.

      Delete
  4. I completely agree about the summers, during college, spent working multiple crappy jobs. :-) I didn't fall in love with this movie, but I did enjoy it. I agree with you and Josh about the great soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum