Indie Gems: Violet and Daisy

They only look sweet and innocent.
 
 
Violet (Alexis Bledel) and Daisy (Saoirse Ronan) are two young assassins. On the outside, they could be any other 20 something and teenager. They're obsessed with a singer named Barbie Sunday, and take an easy job with the sole purpose of using the money to buy expensive dresses from Sunday's new line. Of course, the job can't be that easy. Violet gets a little lazy, and Daisy is, to put it lightly, a bit of a spaz, they fall alseep waiting for their target, a kind man named Michael (James Gandolfini) who seems to be expecting them. He's very courteous and kind, and now the girls are a little apprehensive of killing him. Plus the ran out of bullets.
 
I really liked this one as a whole. You can tell the film took inspiration from Quentin Tarantino, what with the ultra violence yet light heartiness of some scenes. Violet's been in this game awhile it seems, yet she's still haunted from some of her past experiences, and Daisy is super green. The only thing that kept distracting me was Bledel. When casting was first announced for this film, Carey Mulligan was cast in her part. I don't think Bledel is that strong of an actress, and at times I was wishing for Mulligan, but this film mostly belongs to Ronan and Gandolfini. (Whom I miss even more after watching this) Their characters share a sweet bond. Plus Ronan's character is just adorable, especially when she fails to understand the punch line to a dirty joke early in the film.
 
Grade: B+
 
Memorable Quote: "We'd get so fat, but it would be worth it." - Daisy (Saoirse Ronan)

Comments

  1. I've been wanting to see this for Gandolfini as well! I really need to just snatch it from Redbox and go for it. Maybe next week sometime. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth it. Especially for Ronan fans. This girl really can do no wrong. (if we forget The Host)

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this. I found this rather enjoyable too. Shame it didn't get a wider release. Ronan not understanding the joke but quoting it to Gandolfini was priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That's such a bummer this didn't find a wider audience.

      Delete
  3. I really want to see this, but seeing Gandolfini on screen now it's extra sad for me, even when I rewatch In the Loop :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, and he's so fatherly in this one too. It made it even harder.

      Delete
  4. I liked this one more than I thought I would. I'd argue that Gandolfini is even better here than in Enough Said. Such a touching performance from him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum