Indie Gems: Another Earth

What if.

Rhoda (Brit Marling) had everything going for her. She just got accepted into MIT, and she's fascinated with outer space. One night, it is discovered that there is actually another Earth, while listening to a radio broadcast and staring into the sky, Rhoda causes a car accident that will change her life forever.

I first came across Brit Marling in The East, and I've been sold on her ever since. I've had this film and 'Sound of my Voice' in my Netflix queue for awhile, and I was happy to get this. The thing I liked most about this film was the discussions it provokes. Especially when we learn more about Earth 2. (I don't want to spoil it in the review, but feel free to talk about it in the comments)

Sure, a lot of people are annoyed by the "logic" behind this other Earth, and how close it is to Earth in the film. Honestly, it doesn't matter. It could almost be irrelevant in a way. This story is about Rhoda and her relationship with John, (William Mapother) the man who's life she ruined along with her own. I loved the ending because that final scene speaks volumes and really makes you wonder.

Grade: B+

Memorable Quote: "I saw this image when I was a kid. The photograph of Jupiter taken by NASAs Voyager. Beautiful, but nothing special until shown in rapid succession. Suddenly Jupiter was alive, breathing. I was hypnotized."

Comments

  1. Oh goodness I am so in love with Brit Marling, sadly, she doesn't return that love which makes me sad on this day of all days, so I've decided to gorge of chocolate and shoot annoying people on Grand Theft Auto.

    SPOILERS

    Anyway, I digress, for me Earth 2 represents second chances. Rhoda makes a terrible mistake, but on Earth 2 there is another version who perhaps did not make such a mistake and thus the second chance theme materialises. She isn't a bad person and thus deserves a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! That's how I felt too. That Rhoda 2 didn't cause that accident. Then it made me think, what happens when John 2 comes home and sees John 1 hanging out with his family? lol. The possibilities are endless.

      Delete
  2. I'll be honest...I saw the link for your post and thought 'I didn't know After Earth was an indie or a gem' and then I re-read it and went 'I LOVE THAT MOVIE!' LOL...

    Nice write up, and I love your final paragraph because I always felt the same way. Logically, there are a few lapses, but it doesn't really matter because the film says so much between the lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a split second you made me think I actually typed 'After Earth' as the title by mistake. Oh God. lol

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite films!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to see the musical saw scene in Another Earth again https://vimeo.com/46935764

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember enjoying Another Earth when it first came out. But after all these years (makes it sound like it was that long ago... haha), I don't remember much about it. Maybe its not that memorable. Or maybe I'm growing much older much faster than I think....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I quite like this one, though it felt a little slow at times. Brit Marling was brilliant here as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love her. Sound of my Voice is my next Indie Gem too.

      Delete
  7. I love the kind of films Brit Marling is doing. I'd probably place this above The East and below Sound of My Voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I liked The Sound of My Voice a little better, but not by much. The East is still my favorite.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum