Indie Gems: Sound of My Voice

You will not get this movie out of your head.

Peter (Christopher Denham) and his girlfriend Lorna (Nicole Vicius) are trying to make an undercover documentary on a suspicious cult who's leader,Maggie (Brit Marling) claims to be from the future. 

Brit Marling's films have a bit of a trend, their endings are often left open for us to decide what happens next. This film is no exception. We're given hints here and there, but ever full on answers. In a way, it drives me crazy, because just when I think I have a solid theory on what Maggie is really all about, something else throws a wrench in it. But that frustration is what makes this film SO intriguing. I can't stop thinking about it days later. 

Christopher Denham is a fascinating actor. He's someone who I hope to see in more films, he's absolutely captivating here. Especially in his scenes with Marling. I know i called this film frustrating, but I mean that in the best way possible. I can't recommend this film enough.

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "This is not what we discussed." - Peter (Christopher Denham)

Comments

  1. While I didn't like this as much as Another Earth, I have to say that this was another great offering from Marling. I'm so excited for where her career goes. Great write up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your indie gems! I haven't even heard of this one, but it sounds intriguing... and frustrating. I really hope I'll get to see it. I mean... cults!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it once. lol

      Delete
  3. So glad you loved this one. I wish Brit Marling had been considered more for Best Supporting Actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that or her screenplay would've been worthy nominations.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum