Review: Fury

Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.

Fury takes place in 1945. WWII is coming to the end, but the United States Army is still trying to subdue the rest of the German forces. On board the tank that the film is named after, we have Don 'Wardaddy,' (Brad Pitt) Boyd 'Bible,' (Shia LaBeouf) Trini 'Gordo' (Michael Pena) and Grady 'Coon-ass.' (Jay Bernthal) They've been together for years and when one of their own is killed and replaced by the young Norman, (Logan Lerman) they're sent off on another mission with the inexperienced kid. 

One major complaint I've seen about Fury is that "it's just another war movie." Maybe that's true, but honestly I don't watch a lot of war movies, so this felt fresh enough for me. I loved the main cast, they were all wonderful with Shia LaBeouf in particular being a stand out. Lerman, I'm usually on the fence with, but I think he gives his best performance here. Even topping Perks of Being a Wall Flower.

The film is understandably bleak, and even though it's easy to guess the story's eventual outcome, it's beautifully shot and scored. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "This is an American tank, and we speak American." - Don (Brad Pitt)

Comments

  1. Great review Brittani. I thought Lerman was awesome here, and the movie is well worth seeing because of the historical significance :)

    My review: http://feelinfuzzier.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/film-review-fury.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thanks for sharing your review..on my way to read it!

      Delete
  2. Good review Brittani. Hard-hitting and brutal, just like a war movie should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was good too, albeit a lil cliched, but I do watch a lot of war movies with my dad. So my perspective is a lil different. I do think it was Shia's best work in years. Everyone was good tho, at least acting wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I've always been a big Shia defender, no matter how batshit he is in real life. He's a fine actor.

      Delete
  4. I'm not that into war films but I may see that for the score, which I read is very good. I like Pitt but I still didntt even find the time to see that zombie movie he did last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWZ was pretty forgettable, but the score is SO lovely in this. I think you'll like it. War movies aren't really my thing either, but this works.

      Delete
  5. Nice review! I'm a history buff particularly with World War II, so I really hope to see this one. It seems to be receiving a lot of fair and favorable comments - especially for Labeouf which is nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it, he's great. They're all great in it.

      Delete
  6. Glad you liked it. I loved it, even if it was just a predictable war film. :) I hope LaBeouf wins some fans here. He was SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been a LaBeouf fan. Dude is weird as hell, but he's always been a good actor.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum