2015 SAG Predictions: Who Will Win, Who Should Win


Here are my predictions for Sunday's Screen Actors Guild Awards. Hopefully I do better here than I did at the Globes.
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Steve Carell - Foxcatcher
Benedict Cumberbatch - The Imitation Game
Jake Gyllenhaal - Nightcrawler
Michael Keaton - Birdman
Eddie Redmayne - The Theory of Everything
Who will win: Michael Keaton
Who should in: Jake Gyllenhaal.
Keaton deserves it too, but Gyllenhaal is still my #1 here. I'd be fine with any of these men winning, to be honest.

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Jennifer Aniston - Cake
Felicity Jones - The Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore - Still Alice
Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon - Wild
Who will win: Julianne Moore
Who should win: Rosamund Pike
I can still dream for Rosamund, right? RIGHT?!

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Robert Duvall - The Judge
Ethan Hawke - Boyhood
Edward Norton - Birdman
Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash
Who will and should win: J.K Simmons

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Keira Knightley - The Imitation Game
Emma Stone - Birdman
Meryl Streep - Into The Woods
Naomi Watts - St. Vincent
Who will win: Patricia Arquette
Who should win: Keira Knightley.
Stone and Knightley both gave stronger performances than Arquette, but they weren't in the 12 year in the making movie so they won't win. It's a shame.

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
Birdman
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
The Theory of Everything
Who will win: The Grand Budapest Hotel
Who should win: Birdman
I like every single one of these casts except Boyhood, and I've been thinking Boyhood would win for the longest time, but with the momentum Grand Budapest has picked up, I think they might take it here. 


Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
Adrien Brody - Houdini
Benedict Cumberbatch - Sherlock: His Last Vow
Richard Jenkins - Olive Kitteridge
Mark Ruffalo - The Normal Heart
Billy Bob Thorton - Fargo
Who will win: Billy Bob Thorton
Who should win: Him, or Ruffalo, or Cumberbatch.
Tough category again. So much talent here. 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
Ellen Burstyn - Flowers in the Attic
Maggie Gyllenhaal - The Honorable Woman
Frances McDormand - Olive Kitterage
Julia Roberts - The Normal Heart
Cicely Tyson - The Trip To Bountiful
Who will and should win: Maggie Gyllenhaal

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
Steve Buscemi - Boardwalk Empire
Peter Dinklage - Game of Thrones
Woody Harrelson - True Detective
Matthew McConaughey - True Detective
Kevin Spacey - House of Cards
Who will win: Kevin Spacey
Who should win: Matthew McConaughey
McConaughey hasn't won shit for True Detective, but he really should. I think he has a good chance here, but Spacey will probably take it. The dark horse is Buscemi since it's his last season of Boardwalk.

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series 
Claire Danes - Homeland
Viola Davis - How To Get Away With Murder
Julianna Margulies - The Good Wife
Tatiana Maslany - Orphan Black
Maggie Smith - Downton Abbey
Robing Wright - House of Cards
Who will win: Viola Davis
Who should win: Tatiana Maslany
Viola is getting a lot of praise for her show, so I think she'll take it. But from what I've seen of Orphan Black, Maslany is insane. 

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
Ty Burrell - Modern Family
Louis C.K - Louie
William H. Macy - Shameless
Jim Parsons - The Big Bang Theory
Eric Stonestreet - Modern Family
Who will win: Ty Burrell
Who should win: Louis C.K
Burrell had a strong year on Modern Family, and he won the Emmy. Louie is still the funniest guy in the room. 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Uzo Aduba - Orange is the New Black
Julie Bowen - Modern Family
Edie Falco - Nurse Jackie
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Veep 
Amy Poehler - Parks and Recreation
Who will and should win: Julia Louis-Dreyfus

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
Boardwalk Empire
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
House of Cards
Who will win: House of Cards
Who should win: Game of Thrones.
Dark horse again is Boardwalk Empire. They've won before and it was their final season.

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
The Big Bang Theory
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Modern Family
Orange is the New Black 
Veep 
Who will win: Modern Family
Who should win: Veep
Veep has the best cast, but for some reason they never win. Modern Family is the safe bet, though OITNB has a lot of momentum as well.


Comments

  1. Shit, that's this Sunday? I really hope Ruffalo and McConaughey bother to attend this one. And that hopefully not all the acting categories go without surprises, except for actor because Keaton needs to win not that little bitch Redmayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I like Redmayne! But Keaton will win. I think both Ruffalo and McConaughey will attention. Mc actually has a better chance at winning here, I think.

      Delete
  2. Great list Brittany. I think you're predictions are accurate. I wish I understood all of the mysticism behind 'Boyhood' and 'Grand Budapest Hotel?' Why do people like these two films so much. I just thought they were ok.

    I'm with you on Tatiana Maslany. She's crazy good! I love Viola Davis and I think she's an incredible actress, but 'How to Get Away with Murder' is just terrible. Maslany should win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know either. I liked Grand Budapest, but I thought it was really messy. I preferred Moonrise Kingdom by far. My husband on the other hand loved it, and it's now his favorite of Wes Andersons. Mileage I guess.

      Delete
  3. This awards season seems to be going so fast, it's crazy! I absolutely adored Boyhood, but I don't think it should win Ensemble, which I'd rather see go to Grand Budapest or Birdman.

    As for TV, I'm rooting for Jenkins & McDormand, Veep, OITNB and Maslany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orphan Black is something I really need to see because EVERYONE raves about Maslany.

      Delete
  4. I'm predicting the same in the film categories. Ensemble is iffy, because I could see Budapest or Birdman take it...and it'll be down to the wire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Birdman takes it, I will squeal. Anyone but Boyhood at this point. lol

      Delete
  5. I wish you'd been right about Keaton. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm not unhappy for Redmayne though. He was very good.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum