Indie Gems: Tusk

Because fuck you, that's why.

I know you've probably heard a great deal of people rip this film apart, but it's actually very enjoyable if you understand what you are about to watch. 

Wallace (Justin Long) is a podcaster that flies to Winnipeg to meet with a kid that accidentally cut his leg off with a katana. Unfortunately, by the time he gets there, the kid has passed away and he's forced to find another strange story to talk about instead. He sees a note on a bathroom bulletin board asking offering a room to someone that can perform house hold chores and listen to adventures. The man who wrote that is Howard Howe (Michael Parks) and as soon as Wallace enters his home, he's offered spiked tea, and Howe slowly reveals his plans to turn Wallace into a walrus. Johnny Depp, Haley Joel Osment, and Genisis Rodriguez also star.

I love campy horror movies and that's exactly what this film feels like. It's outrageous, over the top and hilarious. Plus you have to appreciate how this film came about. Director Kevin Smith read a (fake) article about a man seeking someone who would dress up as a walrus and role play with him. They then theorized this entire movie during their podcast and had their Twitter followers vote #WalrusYes or #WalrusNo on whether or not that should make it into a film. That's pretty bold. 

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "What kind of elephant?" - Wallace (Justin Long)

Comments

  1. I was surprised by how much I liked this film. Expect the outrageous and it is actually quite good, especially the performances. Totally worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! I'm glad you liked it too. It delivered exactly what I thought it would.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see this. I'm a lifelong Kevin Smith junkie, and I have no plans to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like this one. I like the films he's done where he steps out of the box a little, like this and Red State. They both worked for me.

      Delete
  3. When I sat down to watch this, I had NO IDEA what this was about...and it blew me away. It's, like, an awful and stupid movie and yet so incredibly hilarious in every possible way. FULL WALRUS!!! OMG, this is how you do camp!

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thank you. Yes, this is how camp should be, and that's why I will always recommend it.

      Delete
  4. Haha, I haven't seen this, but I'm definitely going to check it out at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny! You just have to know you're going into a campy B movie prior, it makes it even better.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum