Review: The Diary of a Teenage Girl

Awkward popcorn staring.

You can have a lot of different emotions in a theater, but there's nothing quite like feeling too awkward/uncomfortable to watch the screen. In this case, I examined my popcorn rather closely, more than once.

Minnie (Bel Powley) is a 15 year old living in San Francisco in the 70's. She wants to be an artist and her drawings frequently come to life during the film, adding psychedelic frames throughout. She also is becoming hyper aware of her sexuality, especially after she loses her virginity to her mother's boyfriend, Monroe (Alexander Skarsgard) Despite loving to draw, Minnie doesn't write down her thoughts, she records them on a tape recorder, and on we go on her journey through her sexual awakening.

I knew going in that Minnie was going to have sex with Monroe, but I didn't realize that it was going to be an extended thing throughout the entire movie. Somehow, I thought it would play differently. Like a one time experiment that she moves on from. Nope. I never stopped being grossed out at the sight of a fifteen year old having sex with an adult. I couldn't wait for those scenes to be over. Powley is just too good at being a convincing teenager.

Speaking of Powley, she's great. She really is a joy to watch (when she's not fucking Monroe) Skarsgard also had a very strong performance. Kristen Wiig, as usual was the weakest link for me. Even Christopher Meloni in his small part out shined her. The best part about this film however is definitely the production side. The costume designers, the art direction, set design, everything looks perfect for 1975. Even the way it's shot, it feels like a film from that era. 

I'm not sure how to grade this film, to be honest. Minnie learns a valuable lesson from all of this, and the final few moments of the film are so strong, but this just wasn't for me. (Weird, I know. I like a lot of uncomfortable movies) No matter how good of a job everyone did.

Recommended: Sure. There is a lot of good things here, it's just a hard watch.

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "Do I look different?" - Minnie (Bel Powley) 

Comments

  1. Shit. I'm curious...but scared. I'd say I can't imagine how uncomfortable seeing this one theatrically would be...but...I saw 50 Shades. In public.

    *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least Fifty Shades had adults. That was the problem here lol

      Delete
    2. Dorman may be an adult but he still looks like a baby to me

      Delete
    3. lol. The relationship in this film though, it's so toxic. omg.

      Delete
  2. I think I might watch this one. I'm intrigued with how awkward it seems, though it doesn't look like it (based on the trailer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't look like it to me either, and I knew some of it was coming, just not over and over and over. I can appreciate a teenager taking control of her sexual awakening, but I just can't with an adult having sex with said teenager over and over. It just never stopped being awkward.

      Delete
  3. I really want to see this, but I'm TERRIBLE with awkwardness. I always have to change the channel, or fast forward, or, barring those options, sing loudly just to divert attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this film definitely has plenty of it. The last 10 minutes or so definitely make up for some of it, at least.

      Delete
  4. I have seen Blue is The Warmest Color, Shame and Nymphomaniac in Theaters at matinees next to bored housewives and Senior Citizens. Do u Think I can handle this one. Yeah I would have no desire watching a 15 year old have sex that often either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The age difference was the problem for me. I've seen a lot of movies with long sex scenes in theaters and have been okay, but this just never stopped feeling dirty. lol

      Although man, Blue is the Warmest Color in theaters. I saw that on Netflix, that would be pretty awkward watching with a bunch of randoms.

      Delete
  5. Wiig is usually out of her depth in films that aren't comedies. I don't know what the fuck she is doing in The Martian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her character in The Martian is pretty funny, but from the trailer, it looks like she's just going to be standing in the corner with her hands over her mouth which is NOT what she does in the books at all. I think she's going to be the weak link there too.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, it's uncomfortable and a hard film to rate (B- right now), though Powley is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum