DVD Review: It Comes At Night

My nightmares have nightmares.

In a secluded cabin in the woods, Paul (Joel Edgerton) his wife Sarah (Carmen Ejogo) and their teenage son Travis (Kelvin Harrison Jr.) are isolating themselves from a mysterious illness that has apparently spread over the world. It's never explained, so don't expect answers. One day, a man named Will (Christopher Abbott) tries to break into their home thinking it's abandoned. He also has a wife and son he's trying to protect. They decide it's the right thing to do to live together.

First things first, not a damn thing comes at night. (Except Travis' nightmares..I guess, if we're going to reach for something) The way this film was advertised after seeing the final product is baffling. When I saw the teaser of the door in the hall way and the families talking about who opened it. I thought it was going to be a possession type movie. When I learned about the illness, I wondered if we would get something like 28 Days Later's rage virus. Nope. It's just a suspenseful drama.

It's not bad for what it actually is. It builds tension well and the actors, particularly Harrison Jr who carries the film are very good. It's just not what I wanted it to be. This is even with expectations in place. I knew the title was misleading from other reviews I read. I will give the film extra points for the absolutely brutal ending. It really upped the fucked up factor.

Recommended: Yes if you know it's not going to be a horror movie, no if that's what you want it to be.

Grade: C

Memorable Quote: "That could be how he found us." - Sarah (Carmen Ejogo)

Comments

  1. thank you for this. had no idea it wasn't a real horror movie. i heard raves about this movie, now i am far less excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally nothing comes at night. This is an awful title for the finished product lol.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...not sure I would want to see this because it sounds quite unnerving. I am such a chickenshit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not heard a whole lot of good things about this one, but I'm going to give it a go. Hopefully, before this month runs out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a bad movie it's just mis-titled/mis-marketed.

      Delete
  4. It's SOOOOOOO tense for the first three-quarters, and the very end totally shits the bed. It felt like an epilogue, and an unnecessary one at that. It's a better movie if you end it 5-10 minutes earlier (just after the climax).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wastes all that tension! A24 was on such a hot streak too.

      Delete
  5. Nice review here. Yes, expectations were key with this film. I was very underwhelmed by it, but that's because it was marketed as a 28 Days Later-type thriller. I wish I had known it was going to be such a slow burn going into it. But you're right, that ending...wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I read a bunch of reviews before going to see it. I feel like the first wave of reviews didn't mention any of the critical parts at all, and it was only when I read blogger reviews that I got the sense that it was marketed wrong.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum