2017 Screen Actors Guild Winners




The SAGS have come and gone. Tonight was the night of amazing speeches. All the nominees got a ton of time and it's hard for me to pick a favorite. I imagine our DFTOUS will be going on a 3:00am twitter bitchfest after all the shade thrown at him during this award show. It was glorious.  How did I do in my predictions? 7/13. I blame The Crown. Here is a list of the nominees and winners. The winners are in blue. 


Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
Captain Fantastic
Fences
Hidden Figures
Manchester By The Sea
Moonlight
I called this. I was rooting for Moonlight, though I would've been happy with any of these films minus Manchester winning. I'm so happy for Hidden Figures though, how can you not  be? It's such a wonderful and important film. 


Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Amy Adams - Arrival
Emily Blunt, - The Girl on the Train
Emma Stone - La La Land
Meryl Streep - Florence Foster Jenkins
Natalie Portman - Jackie
Ugh. Don't get me wrong, I love Emma Stone. I thought she was great in La La Land, but she doesn't touch Natalie Portman in Jackie. No one does, she gave the best lead actress performance hands down. I can't believe her Oscar chances are gone.


Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Casey Affleck - Manchester By the Sea
Andrew Garfield - Hacksaw Ridge
Ryan Gosling - La La Land
Viggo Mortensen - Captain Fantastic
Denzel Washington - Fences
THANK YOU SAG! Thank you for going for Denzel over Affleck. That's the right choice. 


Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Viola Davis - Fences
Naomie Harris - Moonlight
Nicole Kidman - Lion
Octavia Spencer - Hidden Figures
Michelle Williams - Manchester By the Sea
Viola continues to be a well deserved lock.


random Dev gif because the thirst is real

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Mahershala Al - Moonlight
Jeff Bridges - Hell or High Water
Hugh Grant - Florence Foster Jenkins
Lucas Hedges - Manchester By the Sea
Dev Patel - Lion
Mahershala gave the most beautiful speech. You could tell he was on the verge of tears throughout. 


Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
The Crown
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Stranger Things
Westworld
The Stranger Things kids were so excited. It was adorable. I thought Downton was going to take this, then The Crown started getting momentum so I thought it would go to them, but then Stranger Things got it. I'm okay with that, even though I like Game of Thrones and Westworld better. David Harbour screamed their acceptance speech, which was brilliant. I kept hoping the camera would cut to his former Newsroom cast mate Dev Patel. 


Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
The Big Bang Theory
black-ish
Modern Family
Orange Is the New Black
Veep
OITNB still isn't a comedy but they've got the most diverse cast in Hollywood right now and they're all so talented. It's just strange seeing them get a comedy award after this last season. Danielle Brooks also let it drop on the red carpet that next season is going to take place over the span of three days. 13 episodes for three days. 


Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
Millie Bobby Brown - Stranger Things
Claire Foy - The Crown
Thandie Newton - Westworld
Winona Ryder - Stranger Things
Robin Wright - House of Cards
Apparently The Crown is really good. I have yet to watch it. 


Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
Sterling K. Brown - This Is Us
Peter Dinklage - Game of Thrones
John Lithgow - The Crown
Rami Malek - Mr. Robot 
Kevin Spacey - House of Cards
This really surprised me. I figured Spacey would get it, though I wanted Rami to take it. Lithgow's speech was very humble and sweet. 


amazing. Moonlight for everything

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series.
Uzo Aduba - Orange Is the New Black
Jane Fonda - Grace and Frankie
Ellie Kemper - The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Veep
Lily Tomlin - Grace and Frankie
Julia won! I'm always happy for Veep winning any awards. 


Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
Anthony Anderson - black-ish
Tituss Burgess - The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Ty Burrell - Modern Family
William H. Macy - Shameless
Jeffrey Tambor - Transparent 
This was a huge surprise. I thought Tambor was going to win. Macy did too, apparently because he mentioned it in his speech. 


Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Mini Series
Bryce Dallace Howard - Black Mirror
Felicity Huffman - American Crime
Audra McDonald - Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar & Grill
Sarah Paulson - The People v. O.J. Simpson
Kerry Washington - Confirmation
I hear The People v OJ is going to stream on Netflix next week, so I'm looking forward to that. I'm so behind.


Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Mini Series
Riz Ahmed  - The Night Of
Bryan Cranston - All the Way
Sterling K. Brown - The People vs. O.J. Simpson
John Turturro - The Night Of
Courtney B. Vance - The People vs. O.J. Simpson
This shocked me, but in retrospect I should've seen it coming. Look at the other nominees, the votes got split. All The Way was really dull, it's a shame Riz didn't win. 

Comments

  1. JLD wins again!!!! How can anyone not love her? Plus, I liked what she said what needed to be said in this era of Il Duce. I'm happy Hidden Figures won which is a surprise as that is becoming the little film that could. That's a good thing. We need sleeper hits like this. I'll catch it when it's on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love a sleeper hit. I'm so psyched for JLD she's amazing in Veep.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, what was being said to make Winona react like that? That's hilarious!
    So glad that Denzel won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually quite disturbing when you see the whole thing. I laughed at first too then was like "oh wait, maybe she's not drunk like I thought.."

      Delete
  3. I know everyone keeps laughing about Winona but what is wrong with her? This is not a behavior of sane, healthy and sober person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she did not look healthy. The whole thing made me extremely uncomfortable.

      Delete
  4. I really love The Crown. Glad to hear that the OJ one will be on Netflix. LOVE Paulson. I caught the first episode originally but that's it. Now i'm making my way through the "documentary" - ooof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started watching the first episode on a shady streaming site and the quality was awful so I stopped. I'll definitely catch it on Netflix.

      God, I need to watch that doc too. All seven hours of it.

      Delete
  5. I still prefer Ruth Negga and Annette Bening over all the other lead actresses in the running.

    Yeah, OITNB is NOT a comedy (especially last season), and it won over some legit comedies. It sucks because I like the show, but over Veep and Black-ish as a comedy? NAH.

    Love me some Stranger Things.

    I haven't seen The Crown either, and I don't plan to.

    Yeah...I love William H. Macy, but he is by far the weakest link on Shameless. Like, HOW is he the only person ever nominated from that show? And then he wins? NAH.

    OMG I LOVE The People v OJ Simpson.

    All the Way was awful, and Cranston is nowhere near Vance and Brown's performances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot All The Way immediately after viewing it. It was actually quite extraordinary. Like, I tried to write a review on it, and I gave up because it just completely went in one ear and out the other. lol

      Veep should be winning every comedy award out there, IMO (I haven't seen Blackish, though I want to)

      I hope I get to see 20th Century Women.

      Delete
  6. I didn't watch the awards but it sounds like some deserved people won which is nice. I have seen some outtakes and felt I was watching the Oscars from the 1970's with all the political speeches. WTF is with Winona?? Poor girl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum